Monday, March 2, 2009

The Candy Test

Four Catholic School girls (all chocolate lovers) gave up candy for Lent.

The first came home from school on Ash Wednesday, ashes still fresh and prominent on her forehead, and seeing pieces of chocolate on the kitchen counter, could not keep from snacking on them. The next day she came home to find a box of chocolate covered cherries (her favorite) on the same counter. She ate three of them. Friday lunch found her obsessing about chocolate and the fact that she would have none for 40 days. Agitated with her day, she became increasingly sad and aggravated until she surrendered to the impulse and got an Almond Joy from the candy machine. Upon finishing the treat, she fell into a swamp of self-loathing: “I am overweight and ugly; I don’t do my homework; I can’t even give up candy; and I will not follow through on my promise to get back to Sunday mass. I am a total Loser!” In her contempt for self, her name is Discouragement.

The second girl is the polar opposite: strong of will, disciplined athlete, and straight-A student. For her, the 40 days wiz by without a taste of candy and on Easter morning she enjoys a moderate portion of chocolate and congratulates herself on her moral performance. Surveying her moral, academic, social and athletic successes, she gloats with a sense of satisfaction on her superiority to peers. Consciously, she is aglow with self-confidence and self-reliance; subconsciously, she is independent of and disconnected from God. Her name is Pride.

Our third faster duplicates the failed fast of Discouragement (three strikes in three days) but her response is different. Beating her breast with contrition, she begs God for mercy and aid: “I am so weak! Help me! Jesus, I trust in your Mercy! Despite my failure, I will not lose faith in you!” In her hope and trust, she is Humility.

Our last faster is successful like number two but exults on Easter morning in gratitude: “Thank you so much, Lord, for a beautiful lent. You have blessed me in so many ways: my family, school, friends, and all my great activities. I am not worthy! And I see so many who suffer: Let me help them and show them your love!” In her joy and generosity, she is Gratitude.

Our line-up of four: Discouragement, Pride, Humility and Gratitude. Who is the worst? Who is the best? This question provoked a thoughtful discussion in religion class. A narrow majority saw Pride as the worst response, thus agreeing with the traditional identification of pride as the primal and deepest sin. The decision on best response was a split between Gratitude and Humility. The more immediate reactions favored the all around positive and successful position of Gratitude. But more pensive students moved on to see a deeper faith and surrender in Humility who found union with God even in failure.

We were able to agree that Lent is not about will power; it is about deeper connection with God, in our failures and our successes.

See you on the confession line!

No comments: