Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Ache of the Heart

A friend described the event. It was a 12-step sharing group for homosexuals striving to live a sober, chaste life. One told his story: he had beckoned a male prostitute to his hotel room and then apologized “I am sorry; I will pay you the standard fee; but I don’t want sex; I only want you to hold me.” The young man responded: “That’s no problem; I get that from you guys a lot; I do that all the time.” A silence fell upon the room of close to a hundred. Slowly the sound of sobbing emerged. Then the sobbing increased in intensity: the room filled with irrepressible, heartfelt sobs. There was not a dry eye in the room.

It is not about sex. It is about affection. It is not a physical condition present at birth. It is the yearning of the human heart. It is not about physical intercourse. It is about the longing to be affirmed, warmed, welcomed, comforted, and strengthened by a gentle, protective, penetrating love.

In an environment of gay-affirming, intrusive militancy, this gentle truth can hardly be whispered.

No comments: