Saturday, June 7, 2014

Vanity

Vanity is defined as "excessive pride in one's appearance, abilities or achievements." We immediately associate it with related descriptors: pompous, conceited, arrogant, superior, smug, complacent, and pretentious. Understood thus is is opposed to humility and modesty. However, we might also set it against another list of antonyms: self-hate, insecurity, timidity and passivity. Clearly, the operative word in the definition above is "excessive." So we see that a moderate measure of "vanity"...understood as self-esteem, self-assurance, self-delight, confidence, and wholesome pride...is a good thing. We speak favorably of "someone who is comfortable in her own skin." Indeed, one could hardly exercise any talent or gift...athletic, intellectual, spiritual, artistic...if one is not aware of and delighted by the exercise of that ability. Imagine: an athlete who is insecure and anxious, an intellectual who compulsively doubts himself, a leader who is passive and timid! Or: a Princess who has a negative image of herself! The feminine vocation of bringing Beauty into our world particularly needs a measure of vanity as humble, grateful self-delight. How can the Beauty radiate her loveliness if she does not intuitively sense it herself? This self-delight needs to be leavened and lightened, of course, by gratitude, generosity, modesty, innocence and humility. Part of every woman's vocation is to enhance, radiate and communicate Beauty. In my own virility, I participate in this mission in a minimum way: I vigorously recycle paper and bottles, I groom myself appropriately, and I wear the tasteful clothes my wife and daughters give me; but I appreciate...more than that, I crave, I cherish, I revere, I exult, I almost adore... the feminine presence and the feminine touch with all my heart and soul and mind and strength! An so: a woman who goes to the mirror to review her hair and makeup and appearance or who spends a few hours in catalogs looking for the perfect outfit at the right price...such a woman is not selfish, narcissistic or "vain" in a bad sense! No, she is exercising her charism and vocation of Beauty! When she finds that lovely dress...on sale!!!...she brings Joy and Exultation to heaven and earth. I know this with certainty...although it is not explicit in Scripture, not part of the Ordinary Magisterium, and cannot be verified by science...from my own reliable, mystical, intuitive communion with the angels and saints.

No comments: