Sunday, April 3, 2016

Josephite Homosexual Union?

Fr. Groeschel said: "I would not have expected this, but I have come to know homosexual couples who out of love  for each other and God  have returned to the Church and a chaste life together as brothers." So interesting!  It is not at all uncommon, a gay friend assured me last week, that one or both members of gay or lesbian relationship lose interest in sex due to age, health, medicines and such.  He was interested in my thoughts about his budding romance. I cautioned:  every romance is doomed to self-destruct  eventually ... and the higher you go the deeper you fall ... after which there is heartbreak or transformation into something deeper and truer... a love rooted in forgiveness and contrition, generosity, faith and sacrifice. I recalled a homosexual couple who have taken in about a dozen disabled children and I remembered the worst of the aids epidemic and the many who cared for  their loved ones through suffering onto death.  I assured him of my prayers for his relationship but made it clear that that prayer included chastity. He was less than enthused  with the blessing. Later I thought to myself:  how about something like a Josephite union for such a couple?  In Catholic tradition a Josephite marriage is like that of Mary and St. Joseph: a real marriage but without sexual intercourse. To my knowledge, the Church has no definite teaching on such and it seems in tension with our pronounced emphasis on the procreative meaning of marriage.  But in unique and unusual cases, it seems to have borne fruit.  The Maritains (Jacques and Raissa) famously consecrated their union to a mission of truth. The blessed Quatrocci couple made the vow after having children... a more normal path. The Martin couple (parents of St. Terese) lived thus until directed otherwise by their spiritual director. I have known of one such couple in my own community. Could a homosexual couple, male or female, live together chastely in something like a marital union? It seems to me that such is not impossible and not wrong. I suspect many couples have lived thus...quietly, humbly, anonymously. It seems particularly congenial to the feminine psyche. Our sexual yearnings, I deeply believe, are informed by a deeper emotional/spiritual hunger for loving communion. We cannot rule out that Grace might create a true, holy union in a same-sex partnership.  It is unusual but not forbidden and might well be a holy thing.  I cannot imagine that the Church could officially, in principle,  endorse such a union, if it has not done so for heterosexual couples. And our understanding of gender, complimentarity and the marital union clearly indicate that a same-sex union by its nature would be less than fully conjugal. Nevertheless, it seems to me possible that such a friendship might participate, in a less than full manner, in the graces of spousal love if it is informed by purity, abstinence, generosity, compassion, mutual forgiveness and contrition, faith and a shared mission of love. I can imagine a spiritual director finding grace and sacrifice in such a companionship and encouraging participation in the sacraments if appearance of scandal is avoided. Wise discretion would be necessary but we want to always be open to the surprising workings of grace!

No comments: