Thursday, February 23, 2017

Praying for Presidents' Families

This morning I pondered: my own work, being demanding, brings some stress to my family. What must happen to the family of our President? This moved me to pray: for the Trump, Obama and Clinton families. Not for their politics, but for themselves and their families. For their souls. It felt great because I saw them not as political foe or friend, but as a child of God, a brother-and-sister in Christ, another sinner in need of God's mercy. I viewed them outside the realm of politics. It freed me. For me Obama and Clinton are ideological enemies on a small number of infinitely important issues; while Trump is a political enemy on a wide range of less important issues. In Christ I am directed to forgive my enemies and that includes the political ones. This is a helpful exercise and it helps me to keep politics in its proper spot: it is not of ultimate importance. It is like playing ball: during the game you play vigorously against your opponent; but afterwards you forget about the game and return to friendship. Politics should be something like that: we fight about this or that but later we are friends and family. The prayer for presidents' families helps us to lighten up and see things in the long term...even in light of eternity!

No comments: