Tuesday, March 14, 2017

We Don't Like You, But We Love You

"We have to love everyone, but we don't have to like everyone" my father liked to say. Pope Francis, discarding the restrains of tradition, is transparent and even shameless about those he doesn't like. The top five are: clerics who cherish the rubrics and status of a priestly caste, the pious who count their devotions and show forth their devotion, capitalists even if they create and share wealth, Latin Mass folk who love tradition, and Culture Warriors (that's me!) who advocate a rigorous ethos of chastity in defiance of hegemonic sexual liberalism and are seen as moralistic and arrogant. We are, of course, the very people who are most fervent in our love and loyalty to the pope. It is as if a teacher disliked students who have perfect attendance, straight Es in conduct, and are on the honor roll; but loves those who "make a mess" (a favorite phrase of Pope Francis) by disrupting class! When someone really doesn't like you it is hard, if not impossible, to keep liking him. And, my father taught me, it is not a Christian obligation. Besides, the cultural liberators will agree that it is more healthy to admit feelings than repress them. So I will be honest:  I don't like you Holy Father! And you don't like me. But I do love you. I am loyal to you, even in respectful disagreement. You are our teacher, father, and source of unity...even when you are ridiculous. And I pray for you. May God bless you and bless us, this dysfunctional family that is the Catholic Church!

No comments: