Sunday, May 6, 2018

Outstanding Catholic Leaders of "My Time"

Now 70, I ponder: In my lifetime, who were the greatest influences on my faith and my Church? I identify four groupings: my own generational peers, those of my parents' generation, those of my grandparents, and an "honorable mention" group who influenced me. (You will note that the generational boundaries are imprecise.) The standouts in my own generation are:  First, David L. Schindler who has applied the "comminio theology" in a profound critique of American culture.  Second, Ralph Martin has synthesized the Charismatic Renewal and the legacy of the saints into a sharp-edged, profound spiritual theology. Thirdly, Gil Baile combines the philosophical anthropology of Rene Girard with communio theology into a fresh, novel but thoroughly faithful Catholic narrative. Forthly, Giuseppe Genereni is the apostle of the Neocatechumenal Way to the USA and so an immensely significant historical figure.  Fifthly, Neal Lozano (Unbound),  also out of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, has presented the Church with a method of deliverance from satanic powers that is gentle and yet powerful, psychology-based and yet Jesus-centered, and miraculously liberating! Lastly, Paul Vitz has contributed more than anyone to a synthesis of good psychology with Catholic principles. The second grouping, my parents' generation, is led, first of all, by the theological trio of Balthasar (who is actually older), John Paul and Benedict whose combined work rivals that of the two Catholic giants, Augustine and Thomas. The great founders of the lay renewal movements come next: Giusanni, Kiko and Vanier. While not a participant in these currents, I consider myself a friend of each as they have directly touched my children and marvelously influenced the Church. The third, and most important group is a remarkable cohort of women (more or less of my grandmothers' generation) who lived through most of the 20th century, buried themselves humbly in service of the poorest as they drew from a deep, prayerful union with God. These are:  St. Theresa of Calcutta, Dorothy Day, Catherine DeHueck Dougherty, Madeleine Delbrel, Adrienne von Speyr, and Caryll Houselander.  Lastly, honorable mention includes:  Avery Cardinal Dulles S.J., who...erudite, balanced, broad, loyal... taught me and generations of Jesuits and theologians; Father Joseph Whelan S.J., a saintly contemporary of Dulles who taught me that Christ is inseparable from his bridal Church and that holiness is integral to sound theology; Ivan Illich, an eccentric genius who impacted my youth with his profound critique of technology and modernity; Fr. Benedict Groeschel who interwove psychology and theology into a splendid,, spiritual and practical synthesis; and Sister Joan Noreen who has influenced my wife, myself and my family through her leadership of Our Lady's Missionaries of the Eucharist. Above all, of course, I am grateful to my own Mom and Dad and an army of family, friends and collaborators! "My time" has been a glorious one in which to be Catholic:  my hope is that my children and their generation and their children will see even greater marvels!

No comments: