Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Aspirations (Letter 62 to Grands)

 Aspire comes from Latin "ad-spirare" which mean "breathe to."  And so in normal usage it means to aim, desire, hope, strive, ambition toward something. For example, one might aspire to: play Division 1 basketball, to a career as a surgeon, to make $1 million before the age of 30. The human heart is created to aspire to God, the eternal, infinite Event of Love. Nothing less will finally satisfy; nothing on earth. The good human life aspires to what is noble, true, beautiful, kind, and heavenly. And then, of course, there are the evil, sinful aspirations: revenge, lust, jealousy, greed, gluttony, vainglory and so forth. At this point, you might ask yourself about your deepest aspirations, ambitions, desires!

Aspiration, in Catholic piety, refers to short prayers, "breathings toward God," of a very few words, normally from three to a dozen. These are among the best forms of prayer: so quick, so easy, but very heartfelt. They may express more intensity, depth, tenderness and ardor than long litanies and rituals. I share with you here my personal favorites. You may find that one or more express your heart and spirit at this moment. Some are good for special times: guilt, desperation, sleeplessness, gratitude. I suggest you try each one and see which one feels just right. And then pray it frequently, randomly, spontaneously, joyfully.

Thank You!

Come Holy Spirit!

Jesus, I Trust in You!

Let your mercy be upon us as we place our trust in you.

I come to you as a poor man, in need of your mercy, in need of your love!

I surrender myself to you! Take care of everything!

Jesus come into my heart. Possess me. Bring me, by the strength and gentleness, the fire and sweetness of your Holy Spirit, to our heavenly Father.

Mother Mary, I place myself under the mantle of your holiness, your purity, your beauty and your love.

Come Lord Jesus.

Draw me to yourself, O Lord, fill me with your love.

Draw me to yourself, cleanse me of your sins, pour your blood upon me, make me pure, holy and good.

We adore You, O Christ, and we bless You; because by your holy cross, you have redeemed the world.

I want You. I need You. I am desperate for You.

I love You and I adore You.

I thank You and I Trust in You.

I delight in You; I hope in You.

I rest in You; I move in You.

I receive You; I abide in You.

I repent to You; I exult in You!

Be free, creative, relaxed with this form of prayer. Some of these work well after Holy Communion, others for falling asleep, others when you are anxious, discouraged, or desperate.

They are a form of spiritual breathing and can be prayed in harmony with your bodily breathing, in and out. Among the most famous, especially in Russia and the Eastern Church is the famous "Jesus Prayer" which allows the first part to be prayed with the inbreathing, and the second with the outbreathing:

Lord Jesus Christ, only Son of the Living God.....Have mercy upon me a sinner.

They can also be prayed as a litany, even using your rosary beads, as with the litany of Divine Mercy.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion...Have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Enjoy!





No comments: