Saturday, January 3, 2009

Brag about My Protectors

I live a life that is safe, protected, secure; serene and reasonably confident; largely free of anxiety and low on stress. This is because I live within the Church. But more specifically, I am protected by two wise and holy men who direct and correct me; who pray for me; who shield me from my own compulsions and obsessions; and to whom I am obedient. Both men “have my back” as they say. Both are formidable, in a quiet, anonymous fashion.

Obedience here is not servile oppression; rather, it is listening in trust, an openness to guidance, a liberating assent, a movement beyond the isolating limits of self into the heart of the Church.

Both men are older and wiser than myself; both are strong Christians; both have their own imperfections; and both love me in a manner that is fatherly, brotherly, passionate, tender, knowing and wise. One is a priest confessor/spiritual director: from him I receive encouragement and correction; he is a spiritual father although he relates in a most fraternal and gentle manner. My second protector is a mentor, a spiritual big brother, a sponsor in the tradition of the 12-steps. He also knows me well, especially my weaknesses and sins, and helps to guard and protect my soul, from my own disorders.

Most adult men, I am convinced, make the mistake of living like the Lone Ranger: independent and alone, isolated and unprotected. One of the primal male temptations is false autonomy, independence and isolation. In my 25-year business career at UPS, I never had a godfather; I was always on my own; I was always implicitly fighting to prove myself and protect myself in an environment that was largely hostile. I was appropriately stressed and anxious.

To my great fortune, however, throughout my adult life I have always been under the protection of some confessor, mentor or spiritual director. I have always had, therefore, a check upon my own self-destructive impulses and toxic tendencies. Additionally, I have usually been part of some small men’s group (bible sharing, charismatic discipleship group, etc.) in which fraternal confidentiality, honestly and vulnerability provided much-needed support, healing and protection.

I am not the Lone Ranger. I am a child of the Father; a son of the Church and of our Blessed Mother; a protégé of Jesus our Lord. I am a team member and a role player. Because I am so well protected, I can offer protection; because I am under authority, I can exercise authority; because I am obedient, I am free and serene and confident.

I am proud of and grateful for my two Godfathers: they have my back!

If you don’t have such a protector, mentor, director, confessor, sponsor…If you are alone, independent, and isolated…I exhort you: Get one today…for your own good and the good of everyone who is under your influence! I think you are going to like it!

No comments: