Sunday, June 3, 2012

Not God

My head is still spinning after reading Ernest Kurtz's monumental "Not God: the History of Alcoholics Anonymous." I am thrilled, delighted and amazed that I am not God; that the universe is not God; that everything, except God, is not God; that even the Church is not God. Every person, including cardinals and saints and popes, is not God. Every group, the college of cardinals, each parish and prayer group and religious order, is not God. Only God is God; and Holy is His Name! But the Church is married to God; is the spouse of God; has become one flesh with God. This is really, really, really unbelievable. You can't blame people for not believing this; for not understanding it; for dismissing it as a poetic metaphor of some sort. But that is what we believe: that God actually gives us His very own Spirit; that He gives us His very own Body and Blood; that He actually indwells us, our minds, bodies, souls, emotions, so that we are His temple. The Church is Not-God; and yet the dwelling place of God. I am Not-God; and yet the dwelling place of God. I cannot wrap my mind around this. But it is marvelous!

No comments: