Saturday, March 9, 2013

Father (No-Work) Burke

The pastor of the parish of my childhood and youth was Father Burke, a genuine eccentric. As an involved altar boy, I was well aware of the pattern: He would entirely disappear for months; no one seemed to know where he was. There was a rumor of alcoholism. Suddenly he would appear; rush around in a frenzied manner, wearing a strange cape that seemed to come out of Phantom of the Opera; say a few fast words; and then disappear again. Something was not right. Why someone so dysfunctional would remain a pastor for so many years remains, for me, to this day, one of the mysteries of the Church. The amazing reality was that the work of the Church in this large, thriving parish continued smoothly, fruitfully, vigorously...despite the shipwreck of a pastor. Fine associate priests (Fathers Rock, Dante, Shirer, etc.) took care of things; the sisters and brothers educated thousands of us; the sacraments were performed and catechesis was delivered; and Catholic family life flourished. I don't recall hearing a word of criticism about the pastor from family, friends, teachers or priests. Everyone just seemed to know and accept, without mentioning it, that our pastor was different, not quite right, but that that was okay. We respected him nevertheless. He was like an odd uncle that everyone accepts and loves and doesn't make a big fuss about. I didn't really understand this, but I got it. For the rest of my life, I was immunized against scandal: I never expected too much from the priests. I appreciated, of course, the intelligent, charming and holy ones. But I understood that they are weak like the rest of us...and some are afflicted with unusual difficulties. I soon learned that many priests suffer alcoholism. Later I learned about sex abuses and their toleration by the bishops. I heard the criticisms of the Vatican and the popes. None of this fazed me. I expected it. Intuitively I knew that Christ dwells in this Church of sinners and loves us as we are...including and especially our priests. If anything, every "scandal" endears me to the Church: it is truly home and hospital for the weak and sinful. Even the leaders are such. God bless Father Burke for the beautiful lesson he left us. May he rest in peace!

No comments: