Saturday, March 30, 2013

Why So Quiet, Gentle Guest?

Why are you so quiet, covert, anonymous, and shy...gentle, silent guest, Holy Spirit? I know that you live in my soul: you came at baptism and then at confirmation and a zillion times at Eucharist, confession, prayer and invocation. But you seem distant, absent, resting...like Jesus on Holy Saturday! Meanwhile, my heart and mind are a cacophony of dissonance: desire, fear, resentment, more desire, jealousy, confusion, discouragement, and more desire! Is it that I myself must become quiet, serene and still to hear your gentle, consoling voice? But how can I do that without your help? I cannot! I simply cannot! I need you to arouse yourself...to calm and reassure me, to strengthen and encourage me! If you have been waiting for the invitation, here it is: Come, Holy Spirit!

No comments: