Monday, May 13, 2013

Cursing the Party

I curse the Democratic Party. This is not a matter of political disagreement or opinion; it is far deeper than that. Viscerally, morally, spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, socially, financially...I despise, I loathe, I renounce and I curse to hell the Democratic Party. To be clear: it is not the Democratic Party of my youth (1947-70) that I curse. That was a force for good as it defended the worker, the poor, minorities and exemplified Catholic social teaching, including an implicit defense of innocent life and the family. It is the Party of my adult life that I curse. Like a Jew curses Nazism or an Afro-American the KKK does this Catholic curse The Party. There is a special emotional and personal intensity to my hatred because I so loved the party in my youth and was so betrayed in my early adulthood. Nor do I curse any person who is a Democrat as I distinguish between the person and his misguided, even evil allegiance. I respect and like the Clintons, Obamas, and Bidens just as I might very well respect, like and even love a Nazi, Commie, bigot or Islamist if I knew one. I don't know any of that later group, but I know plenty of Democrats. Where I live (Jersey City) Democrats are probably more than 99% of the voting population. At least half of those I most love and respect pledge allegiance to the Dark Side on the cultural issues of defenseless life and the cultural sanctity of sex and family. That such good, intelligent, practicing Catholics and others can actively support the agenda of death is the most troubling, mystifying reality of my lifetime. That such moral blindness can descend upon good people remains always, for me, a source of shame, consternation and sadness. I think about the heritage I will leave behind me. At my funeral, how will memory of my life affect family and friends? My hope is that they will be somehow strengthened in their love for Christ and His Church, in devotion to family, to marriage or vocation, and to care of the weakest. And over my grave, I hope that they will quietly, serenely, and confidently whisper a curse on the Party of Death.

No comments: