Thursday, May 16, 2013

More Than Satisfied: Incredulously, Deleriously, Insanely Delighted...with The Church

Is there something wrong with me? Seems like everyone, progressives for sure but also many conservatives, are dissatisfied with and indignant at the Church: "need for reform, change, reform of the reform, modernization, anti-modernization" and so forth. I could not disagree more! I am deleriously, intoxicatingly, insanely, viscerally in love with the Church, just as She is. Well, what is the Church? It is NOT the curia, the papacy, the chancery, or the parish. It is three things. Essentially, it is the Bride of Christ, the Communion of Saints: it is our union with Christ our Bridegroom-Savior-Lord-Brother and our union with each other, our Blessed Mother, the saints and angels, and the rest of us. This "abiding"...this "communio"...this relationship, or web of relationships...is just perfect as it is. No wonder the theology of a different age spoke of "the perfect society." There is here a surplus, an abundance, an extravagance that all the human efforts in the entire history of the race cannot improve one iota. Secondly, the Church is a hospital for sinners. It is the place where our Lord ministers His mercy to our misery. If you walk into a Church and you see incompetence, disorganization, mediocrity, disunity, hatred, ignorance, and fear...You know you are at the right place, if you are yourself a sinner...You are right at home...You can take a deep breath, relax, and be your miserable, sinful self. Lastly, the Church is our infallible teacher and our efficacious sacrament of grace. She CANNOT err; she CANNOT fail in dispensing of the Mysteries. She is Absolute Perfection: Heaven on Earth. And so, I am absolutely, without ambivalence, content with our Mother the Church. My discontent is with myself. I do not live up to my identity...I do not deeply abide and bear fruit. I fail to reflect the fullness, the overflowing love, the perfection that is the heart of the Church...the radiance and fruitfulness shown in our Lady and the saints. My discontent is also with ourselves: we do not fully abide and therefore fail to bear fruit. But I am more than content with the Church: She is sheer perfection!

No comments: