Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Getting Old

I used to devour books… I hungered for ideas, information, insight, new horizons. It happened when I was about 14 or so; at puberty. Books were my first love...before I appreciated women; when my loyalty to God and Church was mild, assumed, indeliberate and my affection for family the same. I lusted…viscerally, passionately, obsessively… for knowledge, wisdom, intuition. I would never be found without a book…and normally would be reading 3 or 4 or more at any point in time. Well, my love for God and Church, for wife and family, and for women…have all slowly, incrementally, inexorably deepened and intensified over time. And this goes forward…peacefully, hopefully, happily. But I no longer devour books. I have lost the stamina and the hunger and the desire. The love affair is over. I miss it! Perhaps heaven will be an infinity of books and libraries and I will have the energy and longing to consume it all…to contemplate it…to converse about it! I can’t wait!

No comments: