Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Witness of the Non-Communicant

I love the non-communicants: the practicing Catholics who come to mass but do not receive communion. Theirs is a tremendous double witness: first, they love the Eucharist so much that they attend even if they cannot receive; secondly, they publicly announce that they are unworthy of so great a sacrament. The sight of them, at Sunday or weekday mass, is always an inspiration to me: it recalls to me that this is a great and holy thing and that I myself am really not worthy..."Lord, I am not worthy that you come under my house but only say the word and my soul will be healed." It is easy for us habitual communicants to become complacent, indifferent, distracted, and presumptuous. The quiet, humble non-communicant startles us: Do you realize how wonderful this is? Do you know how unworthy you are? You really ought to throw yourself prostrate on the floor, right now, in a gesture of gratitude, awe and humility! Three men come to mind: Charles Peguy is, of course, the patron saint (not canonized) of non-communicants since he went through a powerful conversion but remained in an irregular marriage and so abstained from communion. There is some possibility that he confessed and received before dying in the Battle of the Bulge but his humility and many spiritual communions, I am sure, prepared a place for him in heaven. Secondly, I recall that as a 10-year old altar boy I observed that my uncle came to daily mass at 6:30 AM before his work as a carpenter and did not receive. I was puzzled by this. I knew him to be a fine family man and a hard worker. Later I was deeply touched to understand that due to his irregular marriage, he practiced his faith but did not receive. Happy ending to that one: about a decade or so later with the changes after the Council his wife, my aunt, received an annulment of an earlier marriage and they returned to the sacraments. Lastly, a dear friend is caught in a prolonged annulment process and his marriage is not recognized by the Catholic Church. His, I am sure, is a holy and sanctifying union. He sings in choir, attends even daily mass and other spiritual practices. I know he hungers for the Bread of Life! His frustration and obedience is, for me, most inspiring! May we who receive Holy Communion so easily and casually be instructed and corrected and humbled by our non-communicant brothers and sisters!

No comments: