Saturday, October 9, 2021

Flowing In The Currents of History

My personal faith journey perfectly mirrors specific historical, cultural movements and personalities in Church history:

1950s...Childhood...Family Rosary...Father Patrick Peyton.I was blessed to be one of millions impacted by Fr. Peyton's crusade "A Family That Prays Together Stays Together." Perhaps as much as anything, the family rosary created the stability, serenity, and safety that made that period a Catholic Camelot for many (although of course not all) us boomers.

1960s...Youth...Catholic Radicalism...Ivan Illich.Coming of age in the turbulent 60s was exhilarating: civil rights, war movement, ecumenism, Vatican II, social justice and its critique of capitalism, and more. Emerging from that decade I was personally influenced by Ivan Illich who provided a deeper critique of modernity, technology, bureaucracy than that of the Catholic Left as well as a scathing appraisal of the confident Irish-American Catholic culture in which I was raised. He rooted this, however, in a profound and passionate traditional, mystical if eccentric Catholicism which strengthed me in my faith as it distanced me in some degree from fashionable conventionalism.

1970s...Early Marriage...Charismatic Renewal...Ralph Martin and Company.Pentecostal, Evangelical Catholicism intensified both my traditional upbringing and my more liberal youth by locating both within a personal encounter with Jesus himself and the Holy Spirit. It also positioned me in a clear, fierce adversarial position versus the emergent Cultural Liberalism. Additionally, a holy, learned Jesuit mystic name Joe Whelan deepened my love for the Church.

1980-90s...Adulthood and Family...the Pontificate of John Paul II. John Paul was, and is, my captain, my mentor, my role model, my inspiration. His catechesis on spousal love and sexuality encouraged me in my aspiration for purity of heart. His overall teaching, along with the entire Communio school, gave enhanced clarity, certainty, and ferocity to my Catholic faith.

2000s...Late middle age....Catholic Buffet...Pope Benedict. My happy emergence from midlife crisis was facilitated by a smorgasboard of felicitous influences: participation for a time in the Neocatchumenal Way, exposure to 12-step spirituality, the theology of Pope Benedict, Magnificat magazine, and other graces. Our children grew up; I transitioned out of my UPS career back to teaching religion.

2010s...Maturity...OLME (Our Lady's Missionaries of the Eucharist) and Magnificat Home...Sister Joan Noreen.My wife and I enjoyed participation in OLME, under the guidance of Sister Joan, where we aspired to deeper devotion to the Eucharist, Mary, the daily prayer of the Church, and a life of simplicity and charity. Additionally, I was privileged to participate with family and friends in Magnificat Home, a project of providing a home for single, low income women.

2020s...Old age...???Moving now through my 8th decade I am preparing to surrender some of my activity and responsibility for Magnificat Home as my energies slowly but steadily diminish. I am bereft of an inspirational movement or personality. I hope to grow in prayer, holiness and love with my spouse.

I am a product of my time. Moreso, I am a member of the Church, a branch in the vine, and have benefited richly from so many currents, personalities, movements. I am among the most undeservedly fortunate of men. I am grateful.

No comments: