Thursday, August 3, 2023

My Favorite Movie Quotes

This ranking is personal, but not merely subjective. Analogous to quotations from Scripture or the sayings of the saints, each quote carries, far beyond its specific context, a meaning, a truth, a beauty that abides above and within time. And yet, each is so meaningful and memorable because of the happy coincidence of a dramatic moment or event, a striking character, a fine actor, and inspired wording.

40. - Just a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down, in the most delightful way.  Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) "Mary Poppins."

39. - Always Be Closing!  ABC! Always Be Closing! Do you understand you xxx xxx-xxx? Blane (Alex Baldwin) "Glengarry Glen Ross."

38. - Yeah I ain't no suit-wearing businessman like you; I'm just a gangsta I suppose; and I want my corners.  Avon Barksdale (Wood Harris),  "The Wire."

37. - The first rule of fight club: you do not talk about fight club. Second rule of fight club: you DO NOT talk about fight club. Chuck Palahniuk (Brad Pitt) "Fight Club."

36. - I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more. Howard Beal (Peter Finch),"Network."

35. - Good Morning! And in case I don't see ya, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and Good Night! Truman (Jim Carrey) "The Truman Show." 

34. - Destiny is all.  Uhtred son of Uhtred (Alexander Dreymon) "The Last Kingdom."

33. - What do you mean I'm funny?...Funny like a clown? I'm here to f...ing amuse you? Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci), "Goodfellas."

32. - May the force be with you. Obi Wan Kenobi, Alec Guinness, "Star Wars." 

31. - You had me at "hello."  Dorothy Boyd, Rene Zellweger, "Jerry Maguire.

30. - Rome. I will cherish my visit here in memory as long as I live.  Princess Anne, Audrey Hepburn,  "Roman Holiday."

29. - Keep writing. Bob Harris (Bill Murray) to Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) in "Lost in Translation."

28. - I am your father.  Darth Vadar, James Earl Jones,  "The Empire Strikes Back."

27. - There's no crying in baseball.   Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own."

26. - You can't handle the truth."  (Jack Nicholson) "A Few Good Men."

25. - If you build it he will come.  Farmer Ray Kinsilla (Kevin Costner) "Field of Dreams."

24.- You're my older brother, Fredo, and I love you. But remember, don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again. Ever." Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) "The Godfather."

23. - I'm walking here! I'm walking here!  Ratzo Rizzo  Dustin Hoffman), "Midnight Cowboy."

22. - There's No Place Like Home.  Dorothy (Judy Garland) "Wizard of Oz."

21. - Houston, we have a problem. Commander Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks) "Apollo 13."

20. - Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Rick Blaine (Humphry Bogart) "Casablanca.."

19. - Play it Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."  Lisa Lund,  Ingrid Bergman, "Casablanca."

18. - Here's looking at you kid. Rick Blaine (Humphry Bogart) "Casablana."

17. - What we have here is a failure to communicate.   Luke (Paul Newman), "Cool Hand Luke."

16. - Stay Alive, whatever it takes, I will find you. Hawkeye, (Daniel Day Lewis), "Last of the Mohegans."

15. - A man's gotta have a  code.  Omar Little, (Michael Williams),  "The Wire." 

14. - You make me want to be a better manMelvin Udall (Jack Nicholson), "As Good as it Gets."

13. - There are three types of people in this world: sheep, wolves and sheepdogs...Now, some people prefer to believe that evil doesn't exist in the world--those are the sheep. And then you got predators who use violence to prey on the weak. They're the wolves. And then there are those who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and the overpowering need to protect the flock. These are the rare breed that live to protect the flock. They are the sheepdog. Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper) "American Sniper."

12. - I know who you are and I'm not afraid of you and I'm telling you: Stay away from my son!  Robert DeNiro (father, bus driver) to Chas Palmitieri (mobster)"Bronx Tale."

11.- That's my steak, Valance. Tom Doniphone (John Wayne) "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

10.- No one has to go on this cattle drive...But once we leave, there will be no turning back. Tom Dunson (John Wayne) "Red River."

9.- God made me fast, Jennie, and when I run I feel His pleasureEric Little (Ian Charleson),   "Chariots of Fire" 

8. - Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Lou Gerhig, Gary Cooper, "Pride of the Yankees."

7. - And when I find the six-fingered man I will say:  Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!  Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin)  "Princess Bride."

6. - I am Jaguar Paw, Son of Flint Sky. I am a hunter. This is my forest.  My father hunted this forest before me.  My sons will hunt them after I am gone. I am Jaguar Paw. Come on. Come on. Jaguar Paw, on escaping and defeating his captors, "Apocalypto."

5.- I am Maximus Decidius Aurelius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legion,  servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." Maximus Decimus Aurelius (Russell Crowe) "Gladiator."

4. - Attention must be paid.  Wife of Willie Lowman, "Death of a Salesman."

3. - It was you Charlie. You was my brother. You shoulda taken care of me a little...I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been a somebody. Instead of a bum, which is what I am, lets face it. Terry Malloy (Marlon Brando) "On the Waterfront."

2. - A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day. This day we fight. Aragon, at Black Gate, Viggo Mortensen,   "Lord of the Rings."

1. - Do you see, Mother, I make all things new.  Jesus (Jim Cavezil)"The Passion of Christ." 


Appendix: Most Overrated Movie Quotes

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.  "Gone with the Wind."

I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.  "Godfather."

Go ahead: Make my day.  "Sudden Impact."

Love Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry.  "Love Story."

Bond. James Bond. "Dr. No."

All of the quotations above deal with the only two things that matter: combat and love. Combat: physical, personal, tribal, intellectual, cultural and above all spiritual. Love: romantic, familial, comradely, spiritual. The movies fascinate us so because they evoke the Drama in which each of our loves is engaged: the struggle for identity, purpose, love, intimacy, truth, beauty, goodness and holiness. This exercise in the recall of movies and great quotes has been involvement in "dramatics" and the power of words in the spirit of Hans urs Von Balthasar. I invite you, dear Reader, to try it and please let me know what quotations you yourself cherish personally.


No comments: