Saturday, August 18, 2012

Companions in Holiness; Sinners' Support Group

There are a lot of people who pray for me: my Mom, wife, family and friends. I have a decent laundry list for intercessory prayer myself. At least 2 or 3 times daily I pray spontaneously with a prayer partner. So, I, gratefully, find myself immersed in a web of holy relationships: we pray with and for each other; we encourage each other with thoughts from scripture, the saints or the Church; and we share our weakness and sin. It could be called a "sinners' support group" or a "sanctity circle" or even a "saints-in-the-making workshop." It parallels our liturgical participation as an informal analogue but the two interpenetrate each other so the formal and the informal flow into each other forming a single Christian life pattern. This web of holy relationships is miraculously powerful as a synergy is released in the interchange: the resulting energy is far greater than the total of all our efforts. It is the work of the Holy Spirit! It pulls us deeply into the Kingdom of God, in disregard for our blatant sinfulness and weakness. It effortlessly overcomes evil, temptation and guilt. It spreads with a mimetic contagion. It is glorious!

No comments: