Monday, September 10, 2012

Off By Himself

"He took him off by himself, away from the crowd." Jesus (in Mark 7), before healing the deaf and dumb man, takes him away by himself. Jesus is alone with the mute; the mute is alone with Jesus. Thornton Wilder observed that the child needs the undivided attention of his mother, for a short period of time. But then, after "attention has been paid," he returns to his childhood world, of play and fantasy, where the mother is not needed or wanted. So it is with each of us: like the mute in the gospel and the child with his mother, each of us needs that one-on-one with God, that solitude, that precious, calming, healing intimacy. Then we return to our endeavors, refreshed and energized. And by analogy, we need that short, one-on-one immediacy and attentiveness with our spouse or lover, child or parent, friend, boss and subordinate. Take me away by yourself, Lord. Heal me. Restore my health and strength and return me to my community and my endeavors!

No comments: