Thursday, January 23, 2014

Our Pope's Anger Problem

I am unaccustomed to so much negative energy from a pope. He is mad at capitalists, monsignors, pious people who count their rosaries for spiritual bouquets, cardinals who have chauffers instead of taking the bus, and people obsessed with culture war issues. He has quite a chip on his shoulder. Maybe it is his background: he comes from a Latin society that is prone to violence and extreme class consciousness and he was probably wounded, in his heart and soul, but that horrific Argentinian civil war. My problem, though, is that he has gotten my goat: I am mad that he is so mad. I am annoyed that he is harsh, moralistic and dismissive. I need to be patient with myself and with him, with my anger and with his. But more importantly, I need to surrender more deeply, every day and every hour, to the unfathomable positivity of the love of Christ, to the reality of eternal life, of the boundless steam of mercy. Have mercy upon us, Lord: Have mercy upon this pontiff, poor sinner that he is; have mercy upon me, a sinner in desperate need of you!

No comments: