Thursday, April 12, 2018

"I Just Want You To Hold Me"

A dear friend participated in the event and told me about it. Some years ago, it was a gathering of those, mostly men, who struggle with same-sex desire and compulsion to live sober, chaste lives and support each other in the 12-step traditions of honesty, accountability and reliance on Higher Power and the fellowship in recovery. A man shared his story. He was away on a business trip, lonely in his hotel room when he called for a male prostitute. When the young man arrived, he told him: "You will think this is weird. Don't worry, I will pay you the normal fees. I just want you to hold me. Nothing else. Just stay a while and hold me." The young man replied: "I don't think that is weird. I get that from you guys all the time." A silence fell upon the circle of perhaps 70 or 80 people. This quiet remained. There were soft sounds of weeping. Soon everyone in the room was weeping freely.

The story hit a raw, tender nerve for everyone in the room. It unveiled the profound craving underlying this attraction and compulsion: the longings for a love that is virile, sober, warm, strong, chaste, fraternal, protective, paternal and accepting.

May all of us men, whatever our own cravings and attractions, receive and share just such a holy, masculine love!

No comments: