Monday, February 13, 2023

Our Catholic Fredo and My Biden Derangement Syndrome

 "Fredo. You're my older brother and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the family. Ever!"    Michael Corleone

Me: "Hi! My name is Matt (AKA Fleckinstein). I am powerless over my Biden-Derangement-Syndrome."  

My 12-Step Group:  "Hi Matt!"

Joe Biden is our Catholic Fredo, our Benedict Arnold, our Judas. He has betrayed the Catholic family and all we value: powerless human life, religious freedom, the sanctity of traditional marriage. Yet he wears his rosary around his neck and parades his Catholic piety. This is nauseatingly despicable! 

I was happily immune to the pandemic of the Trump Derangement Syndrome. Most liberals were afflicted. Many Never-Trump conservatives were also. I always thought he was an obscene, wealthy, obnoxious, jcelebrity idiot. But when he became President I was thrilled that he defeated the liberal establishment; I found him entertaining in his shameless, cartoonish, narcissist machismo; and I applauded his real accomplishments (especially the judges.) But I was unemotional: he was not close to me. He was distant. Not one of my own.

The Clintons and Obamas were my adversaries, but I didn't take it personal. Again: they are not close to me; not one of my own. Bill and Barack are non-Catholic. Both were abandoned by their fathers. They didn't know any better. They are gifted, interesting, charming and well-intentioned. Nothing personal. The Bush presidents were both decent men.  Their policies for the most part moderate and reasonable. I don't get emotional about them either. They are WASP Brahmins. Not one of our own.

It is different with Biden. He is one of us. He has stabbed us in the back. Like Michael Corleone, my tribal-religious-ethnic loyalties are fierce! I am emotional about him. When I hear him speak my reaction (stomach, bowels, blood pressure) is visceral. This applies to his cohort: Pelosi, Kerry, the Cuomos and the Kennedys. All of them! Betrayal! 

The worst thing is that this uncontrollable rage and resentment extends also in part to those who support them. Those who vote for them. This composes about 60 to 70 percent of my family, friends, neighbors and co-workers. I feel like Michael Corleone. I love my older brother. But he has betrayed me!

My conscience...and the law...will not let me bring them all out on the lake. What do I do?

Jesus tells us to love the enemy. My only option is to lean into my love: pray for my enemies.

So, starting now, and through this Lent I will say special prayers every day for my enemies. Particularly the Biden, Pelosi, Kerry, Cuomo and Kennedy families. And all who support them, especially those close to me. Additionally, I will be praying for my progressive enemies in the /Church: Pope Francis and all his lieutenant cardinals in the USA and the Vatican.

I have never been good at any fasting. But I think this will be a good lent if I can be faithful to this vow.

No comments: