This weekend as I write, Fr. Martin's Outreach (to the LGBTQ folks), which is connected with America magazine, is holding an LGBTQ pilgrimage in NYC, visiting sites significant for the gay movement. In accord with their modus operandi, this is no retreat into silence, anonymity, contemplation, contrition, prayer or 30 days of spiritual exercises. No, it is broadcast on social media in a histrionic, dramatic fashion. On an Instagram clip, we see participants at mass, receiving the chalice of the blood of Christ.
To the Catholic mind this is blasphemous and scandalous. Blatantly, shamelessly, the participants are broadcasting across the internet that they practice-and-or-approve of homosexual acts as they receive the Eucharist.
Full Disclosure: I don't know Fr. Martin but I like and respect him only because one very dear to me works with him, likes him and respects him. This is easy for me as I always strive, with St. Ignatius of Loyola, to put the best possible interpretation on one's actions. Additionally, I have been friendly with many Jesuits with more liberal views than mine.
The good part: at the end both Martin and his young, appealing friend ask, sincerely, "Please pray for us."
It is my practice that when asked for prayer I comply, although I often forget a little later. But my intention is to pray. So, this stormy Jersey shore weekend I am praying for this group.
Am I praying for their crusade? Of course not. Am I praying against their cause? Not really. I generally do not pray against things. I find prayer (like improv theatre) works best as positive and affirmative. So what do I pray for?
I pray for them what I pray for myself...constantly, desperately, passionately: chastity. Interior purity of heart, especially regarding sexual longings.
I don't have the homosexual "THING." I have the heterosexual "THING." By "THING" here I mean concupiscence, disordered desire, compulsive-obsessive-fascination, emotional-moral chaos, immaturity, non-virility, narcissism, irrationality, woundedness, lust/limerence, and inclination to sin. The homosexual and heterosexual versions are essentially the same thing...like being addicted to scotch or vodka.
I myself am in the hetero-addictive club with JFK, MLK, Chavez, Weinstein, Epstein, Clinton, Trump, Vanier and legions more. I was blessed and protected from the full consequence of my inclinations by a providential symphony of grace: obviously an outstanding guardian angel, tons of good exemplars around me starting with my chaste/virile father and uncles, many good-holy women close to me, timidity and inhibitions, social restraints, good old Catholic guilt, and not enough money or sex appeal to get into trouble. All of this kept me relatively safe. But I am not about to throw stones at others who were not so protected. There but for the grace of God...
Chastity is at the core of our union with Christ: fidelity of spouses, abstention and innocence of the unmarried, celibacy of the priest, virginity of the religious. It images the purity of Christ's love for his Bride the Church. For many...probably most...of us this does not come naturally. We have to pray and strive for it...patiently, trustfully, perseveringly.
So, as a certified member of the Communion of Sinners, I pray for my co-compulsives-in-recovery-and-conversion, the heteros listed above and the homos on the pilgrimage this weekend.
Let your Mercy be upon us as we place our trust in You!
No comments:
Post a Comment